January 29, 2010 01:25:25pm
Inside Phil's ear
I've never heard this before. It's a pretty interesting look into, well, Phil's ear.
The thing I find interesting is how enthusiastic Phil is for teaching them Unbroken Chain ("I want to play this in Philadelphia.") And, the fact that Garcia doesn't show up till the end. Perhaps, he had a good reason...
From the show's notes:
March 17, 1995
Unbroken Chain Sound check
Source: Phil's Ear Monitor Feed > Crew Member's Cassette Master (recorded inside venue) > 2nd Gen Cassette **see notes
Transfer: 2nd gen cassette > Kenwood CT-2050 > RCA analog (Monster cables)> RME digi96/8PAD > Soundforge 6.0 recorded at 96kHz/24bit
Mastered: Wavelab 4.0 > Waves X-noise(very slight hiss reduction); normalized; 96/24 > 44.1/16 > CDWave > MKWact > SHN (seekable)
Another Installment of The Music Never Stopped Project
01. [02:01] Phil practices base line by himself
02. [00:32] "it would really help to have Vinny here...Bob did you give that disc to Steve?"
03. [02:19] mostly dead air, drummers start to come in
04. [01:46] Phil, Vince, and drummers practice
05. [00:09] Phil gives directions
06. [00:06] Vince: "Let me here the groove of the body of the song"
07. [00:20] Phil to Bobby "I want to do it in Philadelphia MAN"
08. [00:30] Let's do the verses from A-Minor C - Take 1
09. [02:24] more from the A-minor C - Take 2
10. [00:38] Phil: "That tempo is too fast"
11. [00:32] next take from same spot - Take 3
12. [01:04] Phil: "If I have to go "lookin fo famila fafes""
13. [03:43] Take 4
14. [00:16] Vince: "Is there one of those elevens at the end of the threes"
15. [02:29] Phil counts out the changes
16. [02:15] Learning the part after the first verse
17. [03:13] Vince: "Where in the bar are you starting that three"
18. [00:53] Back to the intro - Take 1
19. [01:20] intro - Take 2
20. [01:45] intro - Take 3 - Phil explains the timing
21. [00:27] Phil works with Steve on the tele-prompter
22. [00:33] "Well then get your God damn earphones tunred up man"
23. [05:59] Take 4 intro - whole song
24. [00:44] Phil explains ending
25. [00:47] Ending - Take 2
26. [00:43] What are the stumbling blocks -- Jerry "not knowing it"
27. [00:52] Let's do something else for a while
28. [01:11] Here Comes Sunshine - Take 1
29. [02:49] Here Comes Sunshine - Take 2
This tape came from a member of the Grateful Dead's crew. This is not from the scanner in the parking lot. It was taped by the crewmember himself. I am not exactly sure how it was taped inside the venue. He told to me the story verbally about 4 years ago, and I cannot remember exactly what he said. But one thing I remember for sure, it came from him inside, not from the parking lot scanner.
I met this guy when I was taping a GD member's 'post-dead' band in 1998. They happened to be playing at a venue where I know the soundman. I was taping off the board that night. I got into a conversation with one of the band's crew. (this tape's source) In talking I found out he was a former crewmember for the GD.
On this particular night, the GD member's band did not bring their own DAT deck. So this guy wanted a DAT clone of what I taped. We exchanged info but I did not get around to making his copy for a long while. During that time, he called me a couple of times and told me about this 95 sound check tape he had. We agreed and he sent me this tape in exchange for the DAT. He made my tape from his cassette master.
I had the 1st gen tape in late 1999 and made a copy for my roommate at the time. We've since parted ways. Unfortunately, when I moved in 2001 I lost my copy. I was at my former roommates house the other night and the topic of this tape came up. He dug out his copy and We listened to it. I realized it was a major upgrade to the currently circulating shn seed. So I've converted it. Enjoy
This version is much better sounding without the distortion of the existing seed. It also contains more then the original seed including a few takes of Here Come Sunshine. On the B side of the tape was an ear monitor feed from the Omni in Atlanta for the second live performance of Unbroken Chain from 3/29/95 complete with the band talking to each other in the ear monitors. That content will be seeded separately.